life

life
image courtesy of www.nasa.gov

Monday, April 15, 2013

Digression, Regression and The NYT article

So I was re-reading my last post and the phrase "I was surprised to see" an article in the NYT about reincarnation jumped out at me.  Well, it had to.  I led with it.  But it made me think, why was I surprised to see the NYT covering this topic?  Is it because even though I think (and hope) that reincarnation is a possibility, I understand that it is viewed as a 'fringe' belief?  Clearly I must if I'm surprised that it was reported about in an 'establishment' news venue.   But then again, I just read a research report by the Pew Institute (a non-partisan think-tank) that 67% of Asian-American Buddhists believe in reincarnation, and 24% of Americans do (this not counting the Buddhists elsewhere, Hindus, and everyone else).  That's not exactly fringe.  It's difficult when a topic that is embedded in two major religions has also been subject to (admittedly) the crack-pots of society giving it a bad name, and pseudo-scientists trying to prove its existence.

But I digress.  What I wanted to talk about today was that apparently there are some actual scholars not necessarily working to prove its existence, but to explore the possibility.  Dr. Weiss (mentioned in the Times article) is one.  He also runs past life regression hypnosis sessions and a retreat each August in Rhinebeck.  Just an FYI....not a plug.  I mention that for all of the New Yorkers reading this.

 That being said, I am exploring the possibility too (even though I'm not a scholar in this area) about to go through regression session this week - in the name of research (locally - Rhinebeck is a little out of the way).  Has anyone ever tried this?  What should I expect?  What should I ask?  Are you a somewhat aware of present surroundings?

No comments:

Post a Comment